Prepared by Rani of Rani’s Cuisine
Published on November 13, 2016
- I cup dried chickpeas (or 2 tins chickpeas)
- 2 bay leaves (if using dry chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic paste
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ bunch chopped fresh coriander
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- Salt to taste
- If using dried chickpeas soak in water overnight, then cook in water with bay leaves until tender (a pressure cooker can be very useful) Drain.
- Heat oil in heavy pan and fry shallot, ginger, garlic and chilli, stirring, until golden brown. Add turmeric powder and stir, and then add garam masala, salt, tomatoes and most of the coriander.
- Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until mixture forms a paste, add chickpeas and lemon juice, add about a cup of water, stir well and simmer for about ten minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander.