Recipe courtesy of Jocelyn’s Provisions team
Citrus Sour Cream Cake
Published on November 13, 2016
- 160g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
- 5g salt
- 240g sour cream
- 30g milk
- Zest of half a lemon & zest and juice of 1 orange
- Vanilla Bean Buttercream:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped, pod discarded
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. Pre heat the oven to 170°c. Thoroughly grease and flour a 23cm cake tin and line the base with baking paper. In an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Pour into cake tin and smooth the top so there is a slight indent in the centre of the mixture.
- 2. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes or until the centre of the cake springs back when lightly pressed. You can also test with a skewer. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- 3. Allow to stand for 5 minutes then turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. When completely cool, ice generously with the vanilla bean buttercream. Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve.
- 4. Beat butter in an electric beater until creamy and smooth. Slowly add in the icing sugar and continue to beat, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- 5. Add vanilla bean seeds and extract, and beat until combined. Slowly add milk and continue beating on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy, for about 4 minutes.