Dark Chocolate Wreath Cake
Published on July 20, 2018
For the Cake
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 500 g caster sugar
- 100 g dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 20 g baking powder
- 14 g salt
- 250 mL buttermilk at room temperature
- 250 mL hot brewed coffee or espresso
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 150 mL vegetable oil
- 30 mL pure vanilla extract
For the buttercream
- 300 g LURPAK® salted butter
- softened and cut into cubes 400 g icing sugar (icing, powdered), sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 mL pure vanilla extract
- 3 mL peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of green food colour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Prepare one round 8-inch wreath pan with butter and cocoa powder. Tap out excess.
- Fit an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, sift and add all dry ingredients. In a larger measuring jug gently whisk together all remaining ingredients and add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan, batter will be a liquid consistency. Bake got 40 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer comes out almost clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges with a small palette knife and gently invert onto rack until completely cool.
- For the frosting, whip butter for 8 minutes on medium speed in the electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Butter will become pale and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix on low for 1 minute, then on medium for 6 minutes. Frosting will be very light, creamy and fluffy.
- Take your wreath cake and slowly spread the icing on the top of the cake. If you like extra peppermint completely coat the outside of the cake.
- Store in a cake keeper at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerator for 5 days. Best enjoyed at room temperature.