Recipe and Image from Stokehouse Q
Easter Bombe: Salted Caramel and Macadamia
Published on November 13, 2016
- COMPONENT ONE: SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM
- 330g sugar
- 750g cream
- 80g butter
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 5 eggs
- COMPONENT TWO: HONEY MACADAMIA PARFAIT
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 sheet of gelatine (gold strength — approx. 5g)
- 175g cream
- 100g Roasted macadamia nuts
- 25g honey
- COMPONENT THREE: ITALIAN MERINGUE
- 600g caster sugar
- 300g egg whites
- 1. COMPONENT ONE: SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM
- 2. Place sugar in a pot on a medium heat and stir until it caramelizes (careful not to burn).
- 3. When sugar is caramelized, slowly pour the cream in while stirring watch out for spitting.
- 4. Add butter and salt once all melted together whisk eggs in a bowl and slowly pour mix over then put back in the pot.
- 5. Cook on low while constantly stirring until coats the back of a spoon (test it by dipping in a spoon – it’s ready if it sticks on the back and doesn’t run off immediately).
- 6. Put ice in a bowl with another bowl on top, then pour mix through a fine sieve into the top bowl.
- 7. Stir until completely cold then place into an ice-cream churner.
- 8. Churn until firm, reserve for later use.
- 9. COMPONENT TWO: HONEY MACADAMIA PARFAIT
- 10. Whisk yolks, egg and 20g water together in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until the mixture is aerated and becomes very thick – this is called a sabayon – try not to have any egg mixture up the sides of the bowl as it may over cook.
- 11. Soften the gelatine in a bowl of ice water.
- 12. Remove from the ice water and whisk into the sabayon until it’s completely melted.
- 13. Whip the cream to medium or soft peaks and fold it into the sabayon mix.
- 14. Roast the macadamia nuts in the oven for 10 minutes at 140°C then blend them in a food processer with the honey.
- 15. Once blended to a rough paste, fold the macadamias into the main mixture.
- 16. Layer the parfait into your desired moulds, filling to halfway, then freeze.
- 17. Once frozen, remove the moulds from the freezer and place churned salted caramel ice-cream on top and freeze.
- 18. COMPONENT THREE: ITALIAN MERINGUE
- 19. Dissolve sugar with a 5tbs of water in a pot, trying not to get any sugar on the side of the pot as it will crystalize when heated.
- 20. Place egg whites in an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.
- 21. Boil the sugar to 121°C using a sugar thermometer. Turn mixer on high and slowly pour sugar over whites.
- 22. Whisk until cooled. Place in piping bags.
- 23. Pipe on top of the frozen moulds and place back in the freezer.
- 24. When ready to serve use a blow torch to toast the meringue then serve immediately.