Healthy Twix Bars
Published on March 29, 2018
Easter is right around the corner, and the temptation to give into a delicious caramel filled chocolate eggs is threatening to dismantle all of your hard work and dedication! We have the perfect guilt-free easy solution to satisfy those sweet cravings, created by FitazFK online fitness guide revolution and FitzaFK Gym Brisbane owners Aaron McAllister and Georgio Batsinilas.
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 blanched almonds
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup agave or other liquid sweetener
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup maple butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup melted cacao butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp agave
- Add cashews and blanched almonds to food processor and pulse until it becomes flour-like. This happens quickly. Make sure not to over-pulse or else it with begin turning into nut butter.
- Add coconut flour and pulse again until mixed well.
- Add agave and coconut oil and pulse again until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Press down crust into bar sized moulds. (If you don’t have moulds, you can use a small brownie tin or something similar, and later cut into slices).
- Store in freezer while you make the caramel.
- Melt maple butter (the thick part), maple syrup and coconut oil until melted down.
- Allow to cool and come down to at least room temperature.
- Add mixture to a shaker or bottle and shake until it thickens and looks more caramel-like.
- Store in freezer to firm up. This will never totally solidify. It will always remain caramel-like even if you leave it in the freezer overnight. Leave in freezer for a couple of hours before adding to the crust.
- Once it’s ideal for adding to crust, remove crusts from moulds (or slice into similar sized bites if you are using a brownie tin).
- Add a little ‘caramel’ to each one and place back into freezer – this may get messy, that’s normal! (You can save a little extra caramel to add at the last minute before dipping into the chocolate).
- Melt cacao butter on low heat in a pot.
- Add cocoa powder and agave, mixing well.
- Set aside to cool down to room temperature.
- When it’s ready, remove bars one by one from freezer (add extra caramel if needed) and place them on a fork, one at a time, dip them into chocolate. You’ll notice the chocolate starts to harden right away.
- Place bars back into the freezer to firm up completely (this only takes a few minutes) and devour!