Spring is the season for delicious Australian Asparagus. A great dish to make for a crowd, this kofta recipe can be made a day in advance, then covered and refrigerated until ready to cook.
Lamb + Asparagus Kofta
• 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
• 500 g lamb mince
• 1/2 brown onion, grated
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 2 tbsp chopped mint
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1 – 2 Tbsp olive oil for brushing
• Greek yoghurt
• lemon wedges
• flatbread or pita
• lettuce leaves
1. Arrange 8 asparagus spears in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 3 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
2. Finely chop remaining asparagus. Add to a large bowl with the lamb, onion, garlic, mint, spices, salt and pepper. Mix until just combined, then divide into 8 portions.
3. Gently flatten a portion of the kofta mixture in the palm of your hand. Using the asparagus as a skewer, squeeze the mince around the centre of the spear, leaving a bit of green
showing at the top and bottom. Repeat with remaining asparagus and lamb. Liberally brush koftas on all sides with the olive oil.
4. Cook asparagus koftas on a barbeque or grill pan, pre-heated to medium high, until golden on the outside and cooked through.
5. Serve hot with yoghurt, lemon, bread and lettuce.
• This is a great dish to make for a crowd. Simply prepare recipe through Step 3, up to a day in advance, then cover and refrigerate the koftas until ready to cook.
• Replace some or all of the lamb with minced beef, pork or chicken as preferred.