Recipe courtesy of Jocelyn’s Provisions team
Mini French Apple Cake
Published on November 13, 2016
- 4 Granny Smith apples , peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges and sliced 3mm thick crosswise
- 4 tbs dark rum
- 1 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup unbleached plain flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 10 tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350°c. Spray six 3-inch high round cake pan with cooking spray, line bottom with grease-proof paper. Place prepared pan on rimmed baking sheet, set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until it turns golden brown, for about 5 to 8 minutes; remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 3. Place apple slices into microwave-safe pie plate, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave until apples are pliable and slightly translucent, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Toss apple slices with 1 tablespoon of dark rum and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.
- 4. Whisk 1 cup flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in bowl. Whisk eggs, brown butter, milk, remaining 3 tablespoons of rum and vanilla together in second bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Using spatula, gently fold in cooled apples. Divide batter evenly between prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar evenly over cakes.
- 5. Bake until centre of cake is set, toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, and top is golden brown, for about 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cool for 15 minutes. Run paring knife around sides of pan and invert cake from pan and cool on wire rack completely, for about 1 hour.