Published on November 13, 2016
With Richard Valentine, Sourced Grocer
Styling by Alice Lindley . Images by Leah Desborough
- PESTO DRESSING:
- 25g walnuts, toasted and chopped
- A handful of beet leaves, chopped (pick the smaller, tender leaves from the bunches) plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsn lemon juice
- 3 tbsn good olive oil
- 1 large bunch of red baby beets
- 1 large bunch of gold baby beets
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 100g goat’s cheese
- 1 tbsn natural, full-fat yoghurt
- 25g walnuts, toasted
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place all the walnuts on a baking tray and put in the oven for 3 minutes, checking each minute.
- Remove from the oven when lightly toasted.
- Set aside half of the walnuts. Take the other half, chop them roughly, and set aside.
- Wrap the red beets in alfoil to make a little parcel.
- Inside the parcel, put olive oil, salt & pepper and thyme.
- Do the same for the yellow beets.
- Put both parcels into the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Take the parcels out, open them up and leave aside to cool.
- When cool, the skins should peel off very easily. Remove the peel from each beet.
- To make the pesto dressing, combine the olive oil, 1 tbsn lemon juice, chopped walnuts, and chopped beet leaves in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the goat’s cheese and yoghurt. Slowly mix in half the lemon juice, until just spreadable.
- To serve: Take a timber chopping board (or serving plate), and spread the goat’s cheese mixture along the board.
- Place the beets on top, followed by the whole walnuts.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top and season to taste.