Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
Published on September 22, 2017
Showcase your culinary skills with this hearty, perfect for winter take on an Italian classic, Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage (Pasta Con Zucca E Salsiccia).
-Recipe by Johnny Di Francesco in Food of Naples- Authentic Italian Cuisine (New Holland Publishers, RRP $45.00)
- 1kg (2 lb 4 oz) diced pumpkin (winter squash)
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- 200ml (7 fl oz) white wine
- 350g (12 oz) sausage meat
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) grated pecorino
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 500g (1 lb 2 oz) orecchiette pasta
- In a pot over medium heat, add the extra virgin olive oil, garlic and chilli.
- Add the sausage meat and cook until the meat is browned. Deglaze with the white wine.
- Cook the sausage through, then remove the sausage from the pot.
- Add the diced pumpkin and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add the sausage and cook until the pasta is ready to be added.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for approximately 2 minutes less than the recommended cooking time on the packet. Then drain.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Mix well and serve on a large plate and top with the grated pecorino.