“You’ll find a great balance of flavours here — the sweetness of the pineapple and the heat from the chilli marry so well with tempura prawns. When in season, you can replace the pineapple with fresh peaches, nectarines or plums. The salsa is also great on grilled chicken. This recipe can easily be doubled.”
Tempura Prawn Tortillas
- 4 small soft tortillas, cut to 10 cm (4 inch) rounds
- 2 iceberg lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Chipotle mayonnaise (page 226)
- small handful coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 125 g (4½ oz) pineapple, finely diced
- 1–2 chillies, seeded and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 prawns
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 quantity Tempura batter (page 232)
- 150 g (5½ oz) tapioca flour
- 150 g (5½ oz) rice flour
- ¼ cup ice cubes
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lemon
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) soda water (club soda)
FOR THE PINEAPPLE SALSA Near serving time, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.
FOR THE TEMPURA BATTER Combine the tapioca flour and rice flour in
a bowl. Add the ice cubes, lime juice, lemon juice and soda water, mixing with a fork to form a batter — a few little lumps are fine, as they will crisp up in the deep-fryer. Make the batter just before you need to use it, or the batter will become flat.
FOR THE TEMPURA PRAWNS Peel and devein the prawns, removing the tails. Cut a few small incisions on each side of each prawn so they don’t curl up during cooking. Two-thirds fill a deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan with vegetable oil. Heat to 170ºC (325ºF), or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 20 seconds. Dip the prawns into the tempura batter, coating them evenly. Carefully lower the prawns into the oil and cook for 3–4 minutes. Drain on paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
TO SERVE While the tempura prawns are cooking, warm the tortillas briefly under a medium-hot grill (broiler), or for 10 seconds in a microwave. Place the tortillas on a serving platter and add the lettuce and pineapple salsa. Top each with a tempura prawn, then drizzle with the chipotle mayonnaise. Serve garnished with the coriander.