Published on June 27, 2017
Skip takeout by preparing mouthwatering sashimi in the comfort of your kitchen. In this dish, the tuna’s flavours are accentuated with mango puree, avocado mousse, and arugula-cucumber noodles.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 25 mins | Cook time: 2 mins
Recipe from Cooking Up Life by Zac Kara
- ½ cup mango chopped
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ avocado
- 1 tsp sour cream
- Salt and pepper
Arugula-Cucumber Noodle (optional):
- ½ cup arugula, lightly packed
- ½ cup cucumber, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 4g agar agar
- 1 lb tuna (sushi-grade, or sashimi-grade is best if available)
- Finishing salt or other course salt ? 2 radishes, thinly sliced
Special Equipment (optional):
- For the Mango Puree: Blend the mango with lemon juice. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until serving.
- For the Avocado Mousse: Blend the avocado with sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- For the Arugula-Cucumber Noodle: Prepare a bowl of ice water. Blend the arugula, cucumber, and water until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a small saucepan with the agar agar.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture boils. Quickly pour it into a bowl.
- Using a syringe, suck up some of the liquid, and insert it into the tube. Place the tube in the ice water for 2 minutes.
- Using a clean syringe, suck up some air, and insert it in the tube. Push out the air to remove the noodle.
- For the Tuna Sashimi: Using a sharp knife, slice the tuna around 1/2 cm thin. Cut against the grain of the tuna. When slicing the tuna, gently, but deliberately cut it, making sure not to use a sawing motion. Instead, “pull” the knife though the tuna while slicing it in one stroke.
- Serve the tuna sashimi with the avocado mouse, mango puree, and arugula-cucumber noodle. Garnish with some thinly sliced radishes, and generously sprinkle finishing salt over the top.