As the winter chill approaches and cravings of rich hearty flavours are calling, it is the perfect time to indulge in some Christmas in July cooking with Lurpak.
Christmas Ham Recipe
Published on July 20, 2018
- 2.5 kg unsmoked gammon
- Strips of 1 orange rind
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 star anise
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1 white onion (medium), quartered
- 1 celery stick, cut into 3
- Cold water to cover gammon
- 25 g Slightly Salted LURPAK®
- 50 g Dark Muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- Finely chopped zest of small orange
- Whole cloves to stud fat
- Fill a large pan with water and place the gammon inside, submerging completely.
- Add the orange rind, onion, bay, thyme, star anise, black peppercorns and celery and bring to the boil.
- Immediately reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour 45 minutes. 20 minutes before the gammon is ready preheat the oven to 200°C and make the glaze.
- In a saucepan on a medium heat, melt 25g LURPAK® and add the sugar, wholegrain mustard, English mustard, orange zest, salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are incorporated and the sugar has dissolved. Be careful not to let the mixture boil.
- Once the gammon has simmered for 1 hour and 45 minutes, remove it from the pan and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- With a sharp knife carefully remove the skin – avoiding taking too much of the fat with it. Score the fat to create diamond shapes then stud the centre of each diamond with a whole clove.
- Place the gammon in a foil lined roasting tray then spoon the glaze over the fat. Put in the preheated oven for a total of 20 minutes basting once during that time.
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve.