As the winter chill approaches and cravings of rich hearty flavours are calling, it is the perfect time to indulge in some Christmas in July cooking with Lurpak.
Christmas Ham Recipe
- 2.5 kg unsmoked gammon
- Strips of 1 orange rind
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 star anise
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1 white onion (medium), quartered
- 1 celery stick, cut into 3
- Cold water to cover gammon
- 25 g Slightly Salted LURPAK®
- 50 g Dark Muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- Finely chopped zest of small orange
- Whole cloves to stud fat
- Fill a large pan with water and place the gammon inside, submerging completely.
- Add the orange rind, onion, bay, thyme, star anise, black peppercorns and celery and bring to the boil.
- Immediately reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour 45 minutes. 20 minutes before the gammon is ready preheat the oven to 200°C and make the glaze.
- In a saucepan on a medium heat, melt 25g LURPAK® and add the sugar, wholegrain mustard, English mustard, orange zest, salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are incorporated and the sugar has dissolved. Be careful not to let the mixture boil.
- Once the gammon has simmered for 1 hour and 45 minutes, remove it from the pan and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- With a sharp knife carefully remove the skin – avoiding taking too much of the fat with it. Score the fat to create diamond shapes then stud the centre of each diamond with a whole clove.
- Place the gammon in a foil lined roasting tray then spoon the glaze over the fat. Put in the preheated oven for a total of 20 minutes basting once during that time.
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve.