“Hearty and delicious, this rich potato pie makes good use of haloumi in the layers of potato, and the grated cheese on top creates a lovely crusty finish.”
Haloumi Potato Pie
- 50 g (1¾ oz) butter, softened
- 2 kg (4 lb 8 oz) washed pink potatoes, skin on, thickly sliced
- 4 brown onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 200 g (7 oz) haloumi
- 250 g (9 oz) thick cream (or evaporated milk)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ground paprika, to sprinkle
- Grease a casserole dish by rubbing softened butter all over the base and sides. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Create a layer of potato slices, onion, salt and pepper and a little grated haloumi, then another layer, ending with any remaining potato slices.
- Dilute the cream or evaporated milk with 100 ml (31?2 fl oz) warm water then drizzle over. Grate or thinly slice remaining haloumi over the top, then sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve hot.
Note: For individual pies, follow instructions but use 4 small pie dishes and bake for 30–35 minutes.