French Croissant Bread & Butter Pudding
- 4 croissants
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 6 eggs
- 125ml (½ cup) pouring cream
- 325ml (1 ½ cups) milk
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Split the croissants in half, then cut in half width ways. Spread the cut sides of each piece of croissant with marmalade. Line the base of a 2 litre capacity ovenproof dish with half the croissants. Sprinkle with half each of the dates, raisins and chocolate. Repeat with the remaining croissants, dates, raisins and chocolate, so that it is layered.
- In a large jug, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, caster sugar and vanilla essence. Pour over the croissants and stand for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to soak in. Using a spoon flatten any bits of the croissants that are sticking up from the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top, then bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is just set. Serve hot with ice-cream.
Classics With A Twist: A Collection of recipes from our family to yours, is available in Jamaica Blue stores now. RRP$19.95.