Crunchy Espresso Chicken Wings
- 2.5kg chicken wings
- 500ml (2 cups) chilled espresso, Jamaica Blue Signature Blend Coffee
- 500ml (2 cups) hot water
- 1L (4 cups) buttermilk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup ground Jamaica Blue Signature Blend coffee beans
- 2 tablespoons paprika, plus 1 teaspoon extra
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup aioli
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Fresh herbs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the tips from the chicken wings and discard. Cut each wing in half at the joint. Place the wings in a large deep baking dish. Combine 250ml (1 cup) of chilled espresso and the hot water in a jug, then pour over the chicken wings. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until cooked.
- While the wings are cooking, combine the remaining espresso and the buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Once the wings are cooked, remove from the liquid and cool for 15 – 20 minutes. Once cooled, add the wings to the buttermilk mixture, combine well and make sure the wings are covered by the liquid. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight if time permits.
- In a separate bowl, combine the aioli and 1 teaspoon of paprika in a small bowl and refrigerate until serving.
- When ready to cook, fill a deep fryer or large, heavy-based saucepan half way with oil and heat to 180C.
- Combine the flour, ground coffee beans, 2 tablespoons of paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl and set aside near the oil.
- Remove the chicken wings from the buttermilk and discard the marinade. Working in small batches of 6 wings at the same time, place the wings in the coffee flour and shake off the excess flour. Deep-fry for 1 – 2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Once cooked drain off excess oil onto a paper towel and serve immediately with paprika aioli on the side for dipping. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Classics With A Twist: A Collection of recipes from our family to yours, is available in Jamaica Blue stores now. RRP$19.95.